Infant Welfare nurse Jan Murray gives some tips to help you be a great mother-in-law when there’s a new baby around. How can you create harmony with your daughter-in-law?
Mothers-in-law often get a bad rap. That’s why lots of people use the term “in-love” instead of “in-law”. It sounds much better doesn’t it: daughter-in-love and mother-in-love are much more life-affirming terms.
So how can you be a really great mother-in-law when your son and daughter-in-law add a new family member? In this podcast, Jan explains how to get your mother-in-love mojo on!
There are so many great mothers-in-law around. Let’s celebrate them and all the ways they can make a family unit work together in a positive way.
Jan Murray is this week’s guest blogger:
Show Notes – Be a Great Mother-in-Law
- Be sensitive to the relationship your daughter-in-law has with her mother.
- You can be a great support person! Perhaps offer baby-sitting so your son and daughter-in-law can go for a date night.
- In the moment you want to be helpful.
- You want to be there for them all the way through.
- It is to forget how hard those early days of motherhood are.
- It’s important to be there with them, even if you don’t have a lot to do with the baby – maybe offer to do the dishes or sweep the floor.
- Keep on communicating and be open, even when it’s difficult.
- Grandmothers can pray! If you can be that prayerful support and backup, then you are doing something only grandmothers can do: loving your grandchildren beyond the everyday.
Want more great podcasts coming your way each week? Yes? Then subscribe, below!